Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Work Over My Wardrobe Wednesday




For the next few weeks, I will be making over my existing wardrobe. Being a stay at home mom of two small children, and living on a budget, I don't have the funds or resources to shop for me like I once did.  Gone are the days I could pop into the mall on the way home from work and purchase what I wanted to. No, our money needs to be spent wisely and we are saving for college and purchasing homeschool supplies along with an expensive Gluten free diet my daughter and myself need to stay healthy. I've been on a search for "new clothes" since I will be heading to South Texas Ladies retreat and I know there are going to be some nicely dressed women there. This will be my first time to go somewhere where I won't have spit up on my clothes or an Ergo carrier clipped around my waist. I won't have to worry about Miss A or nurse Little B during service. I am going to sit still (I am so excited about sitting still) and listen (this part thrills me more than sitting still) to women as they speak on family and service and God. I am beyond thrilled!!

So in my excitement, I started thinking about what I was going to wear. I am a mommy, but I try and dress nice, while still being able to go down a slide or finger paint if the need arises. But looking at my wardrobe makes me just a bit sad. My body has changed so much since having children and there are a lot of cute things I refuse to get rid of in my closet. I think every women can sing this song, mommy or not, working outside, inside the home or only with your children. We all have those outfits in the back of our closets that are a reminder of a time when we weren't called mom. A sort of tribute to the women we were and living proof of the women we are today.

I have come across a few tutorials that I love and have helped me to move my wardrobe from okay to fantastic! One of my favorite blogs ever is Choose to Thrive. This mom of 6 is facing 2 lay offs and budget cuts to the family budget but she manages to create for FREE and use things around her house. She is even remodeling her kitchen for FREE. I am smitten with her blog and get tons of ideas from her to, as Nike at Thrive coins "rock what you got". Stop by when you have a chance and tell her how amazing she is!

I have also been searching the Internet to include Pinterest (as if your surprised) for refashions of everything. I have tutorial after tutorial for turning your husbands' dress shirt into a little girl's dress, turn your old tshirts into scarves and ruffles and little girl dresses, turn that onesie with a stain into a onesie baby can wear, and so on and so forth. But what I haven't come across too much is turn mommy's old skirt into something new or turn Mommy's old sweater into a new sweater. I did come across this amazing ruffled long skirt blog post that I absolutely love. And I came across this blog post about refashioning your old sweatshirt into a nice asymmetrical jacket. So using my own imagination and these as inspiration, I bring you the ruffled sweatshirt re-do.


So lets start the refashion with the very first "Work Over My Wardrobe Wednesday".

I had the girls from the Pinterest Party (go here to read about the fun) leave the scraps from the tshirt scarves since I knew I could come up with something for them. This project was super easy and only took a few minutes to refashion a sweatshirt I picked up at "Closet Del Jelly". I like the feel of the fabric of the sweatshirt and the color, but I hated the over sized, bulky look. Plus an all black shirt, with no color washes my fair skin out. I need color!

What I love about knit material, is that you don't need to hem it, the more you wash it, the nicer it looks and it is a very forgiving fabric in that regard. However, you do need a special needle if you do knit material pieced with knit material, and the ability to stretch that makes it great for t-shirt scarves, also makes it difficult to work with if you don't have the correct tension on your machine.

I had my husband take these pictures and I am in no way a model. I prefer to take the pictures instead.

Here is the front


I ruffled t-shirt material around the hood and the v-neck. I didn't like the sleeve length, so I shortened the sleeves to be 3/4 sleeves.

Here it is with the hood up

Yes, I know I don't look "happy" but I was trying to not bust out laughing at Big B who was crouched and seconds away from falling over. This is me, biting my cheeks to not laugh.


This is a close up of the hood

And finally, the rolled roses on the pocket. I liked the pocket for holding things like "magical rocks" and special leaves for Tinkerbell's house as well as keeping my hands warm. I also added two colored roses to bring some other colors to the shirt.



I think it turned out pretty nice and will look nice while still being comfortable. I think this is a win/win.



So head to your local thrift shop, pick up some tshirts and a sweatshirt or better yet, refashion your own at home for FREE.


Mama Jelly







No comments:

Post a Comment